Congratulations to the Baltimore Ravens on winning the AFC Championship, and punching their ticket to New Orleans for Super Bowl XLVII! As a service, former NOLA native The Gurgling Cod has some tips to make your trip from Charm City to The Big Easy as fun as possible:
1) New Orleans restaurants = seedy! Louisiana's state restaurant inspection system is broken.Your best bet? Stick to reputable chain restaurants. Luckily, there are ten (!) Subways within walking distance of the Superdome, so you won't have to worry about being hungry!
2) The same thing goes for New Orleans hotels. Also seedy! Just look on Tripadvisor. Your best bet is to stay near the airport, in either Metarie or Kenner! A taxi ride from there to the Superdome is about 5 minutes, and will cost no more than ten dollars. Also, three nearby Applebee's for celebrating after the game!
3) That said, don't miss the chance to interact with the colorful locals! If you need some "walking around money," someone will bet you where you got your shoes. How could they know? Cha-ching!
4) Bourbon St. is known for its exotic local cocktails - for a local treat, walk into any bar and ask for either a FEMA or a Goodell! You are in for a treat!
5) Finally, a history lesson: Louisiana was originally settled by the French, and legacies of that culture remain. You see lots of streets with french names, and the state legal code is the Napoleonic Code. One quirk of this legal system is that stabbing people outside of nightclubs is against the law. So be careful!